I’ve always loved sugar cookies but thought royal icing cookies were difficult to make. Turns out, making royal icing sugar cookies is obtainable if you find a simple recipe! Read below for the cookie and icing recipe that I love using for the holidays. Note: This post contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure by clicking here.
Before you start your baking adventure you’ll need a few handy tools. I linked my favorite baking tools below:
- Icing coloring kit – Don’t skip and using food coloring from the grocery store. This concentrated color kit is perfect for baking and comes with 12 colors!
- Hand mixer – Or if you already have one: Kitchen aid mixer
- Wilton squeeze bottles – These are the best squeeze bottles for royal icing. Don’t try to create the icing bags… that will create a mess fast.
- Cookie cutters – I linked my favorite set of cookie cutters. I know.. it’s 101 cookie cutters, which sounds like a lot, but it has the whole alphabet, all the numbers, and cookie cutters for every holiday. I went ahead and bought it to avoid buying extra sets later.
- Cookie bags– You’ll want these for after the cookies are completed- they make a nice finishing touch.
- And some of the more basic baking items- cookie sheets, rolling pin… etc.
Besides these products, it’s not necessary for beginner bakers to get all the bells and whistles. Believe me, after reading many royal icing recipes online I could have bought a hundred product like a brush set or scribe tool. Stick to the basics for your first time making royal icing cookies and then expand as needed.